Your local, independent estate agent, working harder for you
Marple, Poynton, Romiley, Cheadle Hulme & Hazel Grove

What documents will I be asked for when selling my house?

Whether you have owned your house for one year or twenty years, you may have had works or repairs carried out prior to or during your ownership. When you sell a property, your buyer will require information on what works have been carried out and when. So what documents, certificates and paperwork might you need to provide?

Windows and doors

If you have had replacement windows or doors since 2002, you will likely be asked to provide the FENSA certificates. The window fitting company should be able to issue this certificate to you, providing it is a reputable company. If you have lost your certificate, you can request a duplicate online. Note that this will only work if the window company has properly registered the works with FENSA.


Any replacement electrical work or rewiring carried out by an electrician should have an electrical safety certificate or a building regulations compliance certificate. You should keep hold of all documentation to provide to your buyer.

Replacement boiler

A CORGI or gas safe certificate should be provided with a new boiler. Again, if you have had a replacement boiler you should keep this documentation.

Service records

Your buyer may request copies of the latest service records for boilers and electrical works. If you cannot provide the service records, some buyers may request an up to date service to be carried out. If you do regularly service your boiler or electrics, always maintain the service records.


If you have extended the exterior, altered the interior of your property or added a conservatory or decking, you will need evidence of the required planning permission and building regulation approval to do so.

There are some permitted developments rights, and therefore not all works require planning permission or building regulations approval. Before you carry out any works, it is advisable to approach your local authority for confirmation as to whether your intended works require planning permission/building regulations. If you do not obtain permissions where required, you may be required to get retrospective consent for the works therefore causing delays to your sale.

And finally…

When you are thinking of improving or repairing your property, ensure that you research credible and regulated companies to carry out the work. Failure to have the correct certificates could cause delays and unnecessary costs in your sale. All of the points above are likely to be revealed by the buyer’s searches and surveys therefore it is important to be prepared for the queries they may have.

If you have lost, or indeed if you never had paperwork that your purchaser wants to see, your solicitor will advise you on the best course of action.



Twitter Instagram Facebook
23rd June 2018 lawler admin