Winter is normally a quiet time in the garden but it won’t be long before spring arrives and you’ll be caught up in the frenzy of seed-sowing, growing, and nurturing your garden as it comes to life! Getting your garden in order early will help make the spring a little less hectic.
- Order summer flowering bulbs and seeds – most online retailers will have these in stock now, so order early to avoid them selling out
- Clear up flower beds and borders – cut back the old growth and weed out any unwanted debris or leaves.
- Hunt down garden pests now – Pests which hibernate in the crowns of your perennial plants need to be eliminated now before they bounce back to life as the weather warms up.
- Install water butts – Not only is it better for the environment to use rainwater, but ericaceous plants such as Camellias prefer it as tap water can be too alkaline.
- Move deciduous shrubs now – badly placed shrubs should be moved now whilst they are dormant. Dig around them to ensure you protect the roots.
- Fix fences, gates and trellis – whilst the growth in the garden is low, you can access fence panels to ensure they are fully protected
- Get your garden furniture out of storage – if you have wooden furniture, now is a good time to oil it, and wash down any residue from last year
- Pray that the sun shines!!!!